The original building was located 1.5 miles south of the current location and burned prior to 1858. A larger structure was built at the current site and later reconstructed in 1913.
In the 1930's the church was wired for electricity. The old carbide lights were turned upside down and converted for electricity. They are still in use today. The altar furniture and the communion table in use today are from the original building.
In 1957, the social hall, kitchen and two bathrooms were added. Four classrooms were added in 1980.
In 1987, another addition was made that connected the sanctuary to the existing classrooms and added the pastor's office, a quilting room, a nursery, five classrooms and two more bathrooms. It also included a new entrance to the church and the narthex.
The church was dedicated a Virginia Beach Historical Landmark in 2008.
We have been through many changes, but we are still a community church. A visit to Salem United Methodist takes you back in time. It is a place where we care about people as family.